The big day is here! Our calendar is packed with local events and we are headed to Chicago for our National Week of Action Event. Today we have events in 10 cities, and on social media we are highlighting YOU. We’ll be retweeting your posts all day, as well as getting the word out about our national event.
Saturday, Oct 27 – Day 8 Events:
Chicago, IL – National Event: POWER-PAC and The Women’s of God’s Design will host a community forum to shape the future of School-Based Officers in Chicago Public Schools. Parents, young people, educators and advocates will come together to:
- Highlight the urgent need to reform protocols for school based police in Chicago
- Call on Chicago Police Department and Chicago Public Schools to implement the Federal Consent Decree in a way that decreases the harm of police in our schools and is inclusive of our communities.
- Share national grassroots efforts to end the over-reliance on law enforcement in schools.
Detroit, MI – Detroit Independent Freedom Schools Movement is having an event entitled OUR CHILDREN, OUR SCHOOLS, OUR CITY! A Forum of the Detroit Independent Freedom Schools Movement (DIFS). Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, 315 E. Warren Ave, Detroit 48201. For more info call 313-583-9395 With the toxic water in dilapidated school buildings, the threat of a new jail intended for our youth, water shut offs, foreclosures and other threats to our families, let’s unite our community, protect our children, and keep the faith!!! FREE ADMISSION, REFRESHMENTS, CHILD CARE. 1:00pm-4:30pm
Durant, MS – Nollie Jenkins Family Center is putting on a “Counselors Not Cops” – Day of Action Play, teach-in/community forum about pushout and its solutions in building understanding of the issues through performing art; with which our Youth Leaders and other students will demonstrate by acting out different scenarios students face and are impacted by inside school.(662) 653-0122 or [email protected]
Gwinnett County, GA – Gwinnett SToPP is hosting a forum on decreasing the intersection of black boys with disabilities with the school to prison pipeline. For more info: [email protected]
High Point, NC – Parents Across America-Guilford is hosting a community awareness event and panel discussion and student speak out telling their truth. 12-5pm at the High Point Public Library, 901 N Main St, High Point, NC 27262. For more info: [email protected]
New Orleans, LA – Families and Friends of Louisiana’s Incarcerated Children, Black Man Rising and Black Girls Rising are having an event entitled: FINES & FEES – Discussions on student discipline codes, school fines and fees from 2pm-4pm
New York City
- Bronx, NY – New Settlement Parent Action Committee will have an event from 12:30pm-4:30pm at the Bronx Town Hall, New Settlement Campus, 1501 Jerome Avenue, Bronx, NY. Parent Action Committee invites all partners to our Bronx Town Hall on Public Education, with a focus on Culturally Responsive Education and School Climate. RSVP p[email protected]
- Brooklyn, NY- Girls for Gender Equity is hosting their event from 10am to 2pm, entitled: GGE in the Building- Designing the School We Deserve, Automatic Studios, 52 Bridge St. Brooklyn NY. GGE is launching The School Girls Deserve campaign, call for a school that uplifts racial and gender equity and promotes positive and supportive school climate for all young people. Join us as we celebrate our shared successes and envision the future. You’ll also get a sneak peak into our new toolkit on supporting girls and TGNC youth of color. RSVP to Ashley Sawyer, [email protected]
Oakland, CA – Black Organizing Project will be doing a Know Your Rights Training – A training based on state law and local policies that Black Organizing Project got passed around rights for students and families on school discipline. Partnering with Roots Community Center. 11am-12:30pm.
Paterson, NJ – Parent Education Organizing Council and Paterson Education Fund are co-hosting an event called: Equity and Push Out Panel, Jitu Brown as keynote followed by a community cook out. Eastside High School, Park Avenue, Paterson NJ. 10am-4pm. For more info: [email protected]
Salt Lake City, UT – Racially Just Utah, Voices for Utah Children and Disability Law Center are having a Know Your Rights In the School Disciplinary Process Training on the public k-12 system. This training will also contain information about the rights of students with disabilities. Please join us in learning more your rights and how legal changes in juvenile justice laws affect students and their caregivers. 3:30pm-6pm. Glendale Branch, Salt Lake City Public Library. 1375 S Concord St, Salt Lake City, Utah 84104. https://www.facebook.com/events/166790334225292/
Saturday, Day 8 – Oct 27: #DSCWoA2018 #CounselorsNotCops #DSCNationalEvent
National Event Day/Retweet Saturday – Share national event graphics! We’ll be retweeting a bunch of things today, so sharing what DSC National has on its page will be a good look.
- #Chicago is saying #CounselorsNotCops today, tomorrow and forever! Join the livestream for our #DSCNationalEvent from 10am-2pm central by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJhxYnLwuho #DSCWoA2018
- Check out our Livestream Discussions with @Jasiri_X and @davidbanner to follow our national event!