Joint DSC and NAACP LDF Sample ESSA Letter to State Education Departments
Here you will find a sample ESSA letter to state education departments created by the Dignity in Schools Campaign and our federal partner NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. This letter can be used as an advocacy tool to urge state departments of education:
- Ensure that a diverse group of parents and community stakeholders are meaningfully engaged throughout the ESSA implementation process;
- Include school climate and safety in the state’s accountability system, and measure this indicator by using surveys and school discipline data;
- Include positive school climates as a comprehensive support and improvement strategy and use ESSA funds to address school climate issues;
- Ensure accountability for the success of each subgroup of students, including students who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ); and
- Ensure students involved in the juvenile justice system receive quality instruction and transition back into the public educational system.
You can download the sample letter below.