Our 8th Annual National Week of Action Against School Pushout kicks off today! Our theme this year is Education is a Human Right! We Will Not Give Up the Fight! Throughout the week our members will hold actions and community forums to lift up their local campaigns and highlight our national demands. Watch and share our Week of Action promo video here!
Each day on social media we will highlight a different theme or national demand. Today we focus on #Counselors Not Cops – Demand #1: Shift funding from school police to counselors, peace builders and positive discipline. Share these messages today on Facebook and Twitter:
- This week we join 100s of youth & parents to say #CounselorsNotCops w/ @DignityinSchool Week of Action #DSCWoA2017 http://bit.ly/2yGRYTF
- 1.6 million students attend schools with law enforcement but no counselor. Invest in positive interventions #CounselorsNotCops #DSCWoA2017 http://bit.ly/2d3N3C2
- Sign up for our #DSCWoA2017 Thunderclap to promote our Twitter Chat 10/22 & Two-Day Natl Event on 10/23-10/24 thndr.me/B4e0ET
Events are taking place today across the country in the following cities:
- Snellville, Georgia – Gwinnett STOPP, ACLU of Georgia, Georgia Legal Services Program and Interfaith Children’s Movement host the workshop Sit Tight, Education is a Human Right! Parents and community members will learn their rights, develop solutions to achieve fairness, justice, and equity in public education, and discuss the impact that the new federal education administration will have on local schools. The event takes place from 9:30am to3:00pm at Salem Missionary Baptist Church Youth House, 4700 Church St NW, Lilburn, GA 30048.
- Richmond, Virginia – Advocates for Equity in Schools hosts a Youth Teach-In and Community Panel. Speakers include youth advocate and Virginia pre-school-to-prison pipeline survivor, Monty Howard, and New Kent County civil rights activist and legal eagle, Saad El-Amin. The event honors “warriors for justice” from all areas of the community and gives participants the opportunity to ask our youth their perspectives regarding the impact of school push out and their recommendations for dismantling Virginia’s Pre-School-To-Prison Pipeline.
- Duck Hill, Mississippi – Action Communication and Education Reform hold a community forum to educate parents and students about the school to prison pipeline, and provide students a platform to express themselves, become aware of their rights, and encourage them to become involved in the decision-making processes of the school district. For more info contact [email protected]
- Europa, Mississippi – Fannie Lou Hamer Center hosts a Know Your Rights Youth Convening on School Pushout from 10am to 4pm at the Fannie Lou Hamer Center and Retreat Center. For more info contact [email protected]
Other members kick off a series of week-long events, including Save the Kids, with chapters across the country, Sunflower County Parents and Students Organization in Mississippi, DWH Inspires in Michigan and more! Check out the full list of local events!