Recent News and Updates
- Executive/Administrative Updates
- Resignation of Secretary DeVos following Capitol riots – Read DSC’s statement
- Nomination of Miguel Cardona; Kristen Clarke to oversee DOJ OCR
- Biden nominates Deputy Secretary of Education Cindy Marten
- Title VI Rulemaking – Trump Again Seeks to Weaken Disparate Impact
- OCR released annual report on ED civil rights enforcement
- 1776 Commission releases problematic, ahistorical report (education section begins on page 34)
- Congressional leadership- Senate HELP Committee
- 117th Congress — Bills to Monitor
- McEachin corporal punishment bill
- Murphy- CNC In Schools Act and school discipline bill
In December 2015, President Obama signed the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) into law, reauthorizing the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), the most comprehensive federal education funding legislation, last passed in 2001 as No Child Left Behind.
Welcome to the DSC Federal Legislative Toolkit. Our goal is to offer a one-stop-shop of resources to assist you with your federal advocacy needs. We will update the page periodically to ensure you have the best, most recent and relevant information. Please contact us at info(at)dignityinschools.org if there is additional information that will assist you in your federal advocacy work.
The DSC Days at the Capitol brings together parents, students, educators and education advocates who seek to raise awareness and build support for urgently needed school discipline reform. For the Days at the Capitol, members of the DSC travel to Washington, D.C.
We develop federal policy recommendations and national action strategies for promoting positive alternatives to zero-tolerance discipline, such as Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports, restorative practices, conflict resolution and mediation programs.