DSC is holding part-two of our national event today–Crisis in Education Tribunal: Putting the New Orleans School System on Trial–from 4:00pm to 8:00pm at First Unitarian Universalist Church of New Orleans 5212 S. Claiborne Ave New Orleans, LA 70115.
Black Man Rising, Families and Friends of Louisiana’s Incarcerated Children, Community Education Project of New Orleans, Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal, Dignity in Schools Campaign and #WeChoose Campaign are hosting the event, featuring testimonies from youth, parents, educators and community leaders on school pushout, curriculum and the human right to education in New Orleans charter schools.
The theme for today is “Invest in public education, not privatization and charter schools.” Use the hashtags #DSCWoA2017 #EdCrisis #FundPublicEd #WeChoose and #LetKidsBeKids.
Here are some sample tweets:
- TODAY: NOLA Charter schools on trial #EdCrisis #DSCWoA2017 #WeChoose w/ Black Man Rising, CEPNO, @fflicla & @DirectorCELSJR
- #WeChoose Education equity, not the illusion of choice. #DSCWoA2017 #EdIsAHumanRight #EdCrisis
- #WeChoose funding that supports quality public schools. #No2Privitization #EdCrisis #DSCWoA2017
Members across the country are also holding events today:
- In Jersey City, New Jersey, the Statewide Education Organizing Committee (SEOC) is holding a Community Forum from 6:00pm – 8:30pm at Mary Bethune Community Center
- In Maplewood, New Jersey, the SOMA Black Parent Workshop is holding a Teach-In at 7:00 pm at Columbia High School in collaboration with the Black Student Union, MAC Scholars Program and the MapSo Freedom School on disciplinary disparities by race and how they lead to pushing students out of school and into the criminal justice pipeline.
- In Richmond, Virginia, Mothers and Others is hosting an event on LGBTQ issues and school pushout with multiple community organizations that support youth and family .
- In Portland, Oregon, Portland Parent Union is holding a press conference and school board rally and testimony from 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm at 501 N. Dixon.
- In Richmond, California, Ryse Center youth will mobilize to the WCCUSD District Local Control Accountability Plan Parent Committee to demand meaningful representation of youth voice in district LCAP budgetary decisions. Youth will share testimonies that reflect the importance of students having decision making power that can improve the district’s goal 4 (Improve Student Engagement and School Climate) outcomes.
Members that are holding a full week of activities are continuing their events today, including chapters of Save the Kids across the country, and CADRE in Los Angeles, who is holding classroom observations where parents will visit various South Los Angeles schools to observe school climate discipline practices in classrooms. Padres Y Jovenes Unidos in Denver, CO will do tabling with Week of Action materials in youth organizing school sites across the state.
To see the full list of events see dignityinschools.org/take-action/national-week-of-action