Today is our national event in New Orleans! DSC members and allies are convening for a two-day event in partnership with the Communities for Just Schools Fund (CJSF), Families and Friends of Lousiana’s Incarcerated Children (FFLIC), Black Man Rising, Community Education Project of New Orleans, Center for Ethical Living and Social Justice Renewal, Rethink and #WeChoose Campaign. We are engaging in a #ClassroomsRising Critical Conversation on Race and Racism in Education. We are joined by Keynote Speaker David #TheGodBox Banner. Learn more at http://dignityinschools.org/neworleans.
On social media, use the hashtags #DSCWoA2017 #ClassroomsRising #JustSchools
Here are some sample tweets:
- TODAY: #ClassroomsRising w/ @DavidBanner #CulturalResistance to combat racism in education #JustSchools #DSCWoA2017 http://bit.ly/2yyv3fb
- Share #DSCWoA2017 video w/ Natl Demands for #EdIsAHumanRight #ClassroomsRising #Just Schools http://bit.ly/2zx4vsc
Today several members launch a series of events that will last all week:
- CADRE in Los Angeles is holding classroom observations where parents will visit various South Los Angeles schools to observe school climate and discipline practices in classrooms.
- The Ryse Center youth in California will kick off their week of events by mobilizing at the WCCUSD Youth Commission meeting to raise awareness of the need for the Richmond High School students input to be heard in youth commission meetings, and urge the space to be more representative of the Richmond population.
- Padres Y Jovenes Unidos in Denver, CO will do tabling with Week of Action materials in their youth organizing school sites across the state
- Portland Parent Union in Oregon is also holding a relationship building event to launch their full week of activities.
Dignity in Schools Campaign-NY’s main Week of Action event is a teach-in focusing on the need to end racial disparities in NYC schools and calling on the Mayor to end school based arrests and summonses in NYC schools. The event will feature a discussion, followed by a video screening, and Theater of the Oppressed piece on the School to Prison Pipeline.
Gwinnett STOPP/NWGA Federation of Families will hold a 2-day resource fair to bring awareness to parent and youth in the NWGA Region in the following counties- Floyd Co. Polk Co. & Haralson Co.
Tunica Teens In Action, Inc. in Mississippi is holding a community forum at G.W. Henderson Recreation Center to raise awareness in the community about the DSC WoA.
To see the full list of events see dignityinschools.org/take-action/national-week-of-action