Our Week of Action keeps picking up momentum as we approach the weekend and our national event on Saturday. Today we have events in nine cities, and on social media we are highlighting Demand #4: Make sure states and districts focus on school climate under the new federal law – the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) (Image credit Freedom Inc.)
Friday, Oct 26 – Day 7 Events:
Alexandria, VA – Tenants and Workers United is holding a Community Conversation from 6pm-7pm where youth will lead the discussion about the impact of police in our schools. Location: 3801 Mt Vernon Avenue.
Los Angeles, CA
- Youth Justice Coalition will host a Speak Out on Experiences with Continuation Schools in LA County – “Under-Education and Over-Policed” – from 11am-12:30pm at Chuco’s Justice Center, 1137 East Redondo Blvd. They will share results of surveys collected all week from students in continuation schools. For more information contact [email protected] / [email protected]
- CADRE (Community Asset Development Re-defining Education) wraps up their week of parent-led classroom observations across 20 targeted schools in South LA to gather data about classroom climate and classroom-level implementation of SWPBIS.
Las Vegas, NV – H.E.R.O.S. will host a community forum with decision-makers discussing the topic “Counselors Not Cops!” from 11am-4pm. For more info: [email protected]
Madison, WI – Freedom Inc will host their 2nd Annual Haunted Inc. from 5:30pm-9:00pm at Freedom Inc, 1810 S. Park Street.
Miami, FL – S.O.U.L Sisters Leadership Collective will host Radical Softness: Dismantling the System with Emotional Intelligence at Florida Memorial University. For more info: [email protected]
Queens, NY – DRUM (Desis Rising Up and Moving) is holding a Counselors not Cops Teach In (please note this is not a public event-only for DRUM Members).
Richmond, VA- I Vote for Me is having a Screening of Elementary Genocide 3: Academic Holocaust from 6:30-8:30pm. For more info: [email protected]
Stockton, CA – Fathers & Families of San Joaquin is having an event entitled Trunk or Read at 3:00pm. The event will be filled with fun for children and educational information for parents and community, including info related to Dismantling the School to Prison Pipeline and dispelling myths. Check out the Facebook page. For more info: [email protected]ffsj.org
Sunflower County, MS – Sunflower County Parents and Students United wraps up their series of week long events to bring students and parents together to discuss school pushout and implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
Friday, Oct 26 – Social Media: #DSCWoA2018 #CounselorsNotCops #EngageforEdEquity
Demand #4 Make sure states and districts focus on school climate under the new federal law – the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). Sample Tweets:
- Parents & youth must lead as schools implement ESSA! Use the #EngageforEdEquity toolkit at https://tinyurl.com/EngageESSA #DSCWoA2018
- Use data for change through ESSA! Check out our #EngageforEdEquity Data Worksheet to review your school’s report card and hold them accountable! https://tinyurl.com/DataESSA #DSCWoA2018
- Federal funds should not be used for firearms because they do not improve safety, but in fact make students and staff less safe. Our children deserve safe and healthy school climates. #CounselorsNotCops #DSCWoA2018
- . @usedgov must clarify that schools cannot use #ESSA funds to purchase firearms. #CounselorsNotCops #DSCWoA2018