It’s a big day for the Week of Action! In addition to local events across sixteen cities, we are releasing updated resources from our DSC Model Code on Education & Dignity, and hosting a Twitter Townhall tonight at 8pm est/7pm cst/6pm mst/5pm pst. On social media we are focusing on Demand #3: Stop the arrest, school removal and pushout of Black students and other students of color, LGBTQ youth, students who are homeless, and students with disabilities.
Thursday, Oct 25 – Day 6 Events:
Bay Area, CA – DSC-California members host a Black Sanctuary Listening Session to speak with school staff and administrators about making a commitment to not calling armed law enforcement on students.
Dayton, OH – Racial Justice NOW! is hosting a Leadership in Action event where parents and members of the community will come together to discuss law HB410 and push for Dayton Public Schools and surrounding districts to divest from police and invest in culturally relevant social workers and therapists. Discussion facilitated by Cameron Walker, RJN Parent Organizer, at Body of Christ Deliverance Center, 2345 Catalpa Drive, Dayton, OH from 6pm-8pm.
Denver, CO – Padres & Jóvenes Unidos will be holding a community accountability meeting with the Denver Public School Board of Education from 5-8pm. For more info:email@example.com.
Los Angeles – ACLU of SoCal will release their national report looking at schools that have cops and no counselors. For more info contact Amir@aclusocal.org.
New York City
- New York, NY – Girls for Gender Equity is hosting their School Girls Deserve Campaign Launch and Press Conference at City Hall at 11am. RSVP to Ashley Sawyer, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Bronx, NY – Sistas and Brothas United is launching All Tea No Sugar, SBU’s new YouTube series designed and run entirely by youth for youth. In the first episode, youth leaders will host an open conversation about the school to prison pipeline and its effect on students and education overall. RSVP HERE, Subscribe to their channel here. All Tea No Sugar Episode 1 Recording, 103 E 196th street, Bronx NY on the 3rd floor
Phoenix, AZ – #Demand2Learn, ACLU of AZ is hosting a youth led teach-in about the dangers of cops on campus for our students from 6-8pm at Puente, 1937 W Adams St, Phoenix, AZ 85009. For more info: email@example.com.
Richmond, VA – Advocates for Equity in Schools is hosting a Parent Townhall + Advocacy Training from 12pm-4pm at 4206 Chamberlayne Ave, Richmond, VA 23227. For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sacramento, CA – Black Parallel School Board is having a Restorative Justice Collaborative Community Forum at 4:00pm. Dr. Jason Okonofua will be speaking on inequality and race disparities in disciplinary action. Carl Pinkston, 916-484-3729, email@example.com. Check out the Facebook page.
Salt Lake City, UT – Racially Just Utah-RJU and Utah Pride Center will hold a panel discussion regarding the school-to-prison pipeline and the affects on students in the LGBTQIA+ community from 6pm-8pm at Utah Pride Center, 1380 South Main Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84115. https://www.facebook.com/events/294093527858196/.
Santa Clara, CA – Youth Alliance is hosting What’s Your Story? Parent and Community Listening & Planning Session at 5:30 pm. Parents and youth will come together to discuss and prepare statements for the upcoming meeting with state officials to lift up systemic challenges between juvenile justice, education, and child welfare systems, its impact on families and the school to prison pipeline. For more info: Jeanette Neal, Jeanette@youthall.org or Julius Mills Denti, Julius@youthall.org.
Twin Cities, MN
- Minneapolis, MN – Stand up for Ed Justice is having a Counselors not Cops Listening Session from 5:00-7:00pm at 2608 Blaisdell Ave, Minneapolis MN 55408. For more inf: PringleKhulia@gmail.com
- St. Paul, MN – Midwest Center for School Transformation‘s event is a community forum for youth, parents and advocates on the cradle to prison algorithm in education from 5:00-7:30pm at the Hallie Q. Brown Community Center – 270 N Kent St, St Paul, MN 55102. For more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tunica, MS- Tunica Teens in Action will have their Rally + Action at 4:00pm at the Tunica County School District Central Office, 744 School Street, Tunica, MS 38676.
Ypsilanti, MI- DWH Inspires is having their rally from 4pm-5pm at the District Office and Sheriff’s Office demanding that our SROS be removed! For more info: Dwhinspires@gmail.com
Thursday, Oct 25 – Social Media: #DSCWoA2018 #ReThinkDiscipline #CounselorsNotCop
TONIGHT is our Twitter Townhall! Be sure to promote the event and to join the conversation! We will be promoting new Model Code resources released today!
Demand #3 Stop the arrest, school removal and pushout of Black students and other students of color, LGBTQ youth, students who are homeless, and students with disabilities. Sample tweets:
- DSC Twitter Townhall TODAY! Featuring Jasiri X. Join us at 8pm est/7pm cst/6pm mst/5pm pst Use #DSCWoA2018 to join the discussion!
- Today @DignityinSchool releases new Model Code recommendations to demand #CounselorsNotCops, stop the school-to-deportation pipeline, end gang profiling and more! Check it out at https://tinyurl.com/ModelCode2018 #DSCWoA2018
[The Model Code link above will be updated with the new resources the afternoon of Oct 25]
- Punitive discipline & #School2Prison targets Black youth & other youth of color, LGBTQ students & those with disabilities #DSCWoA2018
- Black preschool students are 3.6 times more likely to be suspended. #EndSchoolPushout NOW! #DSCWoA2018