The Week of Action continues with a diverse array of events including teach ins, panels, youth-led actions, an open mic and even a dance battle! On social media we are focusing on Demand #2: Fund and use transformative and restorative justice, mediation and positive interventions in school. Share your local and/or state victories from the last year! Make sure you also tune in and amplify the DSC California chapter Twitter townhall, details below.
Wednesday, Oct 24 – Day 5 Events:
DSC-California is hosting a Twitter Townhall at 11am PST/12pm MST/1pm CST/2pm EST, a conversation with partners Coleman Advocates, GSAN, CURYJ, CADRE and other allies to discuss the state of police free schools in Oakland, the Bay Area and the country, and to re-imagine what safety looks like in schools for Black youth.
Detroit, MI – Student Advocacy Center of Michigan will have a Youth-led action at the Gubernatorial Debate on the WDIV Local 4 News Station. 550 Lafayette Blvd, Detroit, Michigan 48226 at 6:30pm.
Hollister, CA – Youth Alliance is holding a Restorative Justice Teach-In and Data Report: The Healing Schools Program Model from 11:00am-3:00 pm at the San Andreas Continuation High School. For more info click here.
Lansing, MI – DWH Inspires is hosting The State of Juvenile Justice in Michigan, a discussion on the current state of youth incarceration in Michigan, with a focus on the campaign to raise the age of juvenile court jurisdiction from 17 to 18 years of age. Michigan remains one of only FOUR states that automatically prosecutes all 17-year-olds as adults. The event is from 5:30pm-7:30pm at the Michigan History Center, 703 W. Kalamazoo Street, Lansing, MI 48915.
Madison, WI – Freedom, Inc is hosting an All Stylez Dance Battle at the Goodman Community Center, 214 Waubesa Street, Madison, WI from 5:30pm-8:00pm.
Salt Lake City, UT – Save the Kids is hosting a Hip Hop Youth Justice and Racial Justice event and Open Mic from 7:00-8:30pm in the Multi-Purpose Room, South City Campus, 1st Floor, Salt Lake Community College, UT. For more info: [email protected]
And several members holding events all week will continue their work today:
- Indianola, MS – Sunflower County Parents and Students United is hosting a series of week long events to bring students and parents together to discuss school pushout and implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
- Los Angeles, CA – CADRE (Community Asset Development Re-defining Education) will continue its annual tradition of parent-led classroom observations across 20 targeted schools in South LA.
- Los Angeles County, CA – Youth Justice Coalition will be conducting surveys all week of students in continuation schools across LA County.
Wednesday, Oct 24 – Social Media: #DSCWoA2018 #RethinkDiscipline #RestorativeJustice #CounselorsNotCops #WinWEEK
Share your local and/or state victories from the last year! They can be major wins or steps along the way… Let’s amplify the good work we’ve done!
Demand #2 Fund and use transformative and restorative justice, mediation and positive interventions in school. Sample tweets:
- In [enter your district or state], we won increased funding for #RestorativeJustice #WinWEEK #RethinkDiscipline #DSCWoA2018
- $75 Million in federal funds for School Resource Officers instead of support for students and #RestorativeJustice? We say NO! We say #CounselorsNotCops
- DSC Twitter Townhall Tomorrow! Join us on Thurs, October 25 at 8pm est/7pm cst/6pm mst/5pm pst #CounselorsNotCops #RethinkDiscipline